Monday, June 15, 2009

Iranian-Americans Protest in Westwood

On Sunday, June 14th 2009, I was woken up from my late-morning slumber to the sound of horns honking nearby. I knew this could only mean that some folks were protesting on the corner of Wilshire and Veteran. The horns were from cars driving past the bus stop next to the Federal Building. They were responding in approval of whatever protest banners were being waved at them from the protestors lined up along the curb. I got up and had coffee. The horns continued. Curiosity descended like an angel from heaven and possessed me. I grabbed my camera and headed out. Turns out - the Iranian-Americans, many from the local Westwood neighborhood (and UCLA of course), were protesting the recent election in Iran. By the time I arrived, people were starting to leave, but I could still feel the enthusiasm of the protestors. They were doing their part for their homeland and their culture. There was no violence. No one got hurt. Nobody got arrested. Voices were heard and a statement made. That's the beauty of NON-VIOLENT PROTEST and, I suppose, the ideals of Democracy. These people took time out of their busy lives and spent it on something postive. That's a good thing.

No comments: